NCKU Regulations for Email Use
These Regulations are established in accordance with the “Education System Email Service and Security Management Guide” by the Ministry of Education (MOE) to ensure the security of email service use, reduce improper email use, and reduce cybersecurity threats.
The NCKU email service is provided for NCKU academic and administrative staff and students to use for business purpose or academic activities. When engaging in school business or core business, all NCKU units shall use the email account assigned by NCKU. Use of non-NCKU email accounts to send or receive emails relating to school business or core business is not allowed.
All active NCKU academic and administrative staff and students are assigned with one email account. Email accounts for special purposes, such as NCKU units, projects, business, temporary school business, and short-term use by part-time academic staff, shall be applied for separately.
Account Creation and Expiration
- NCKU academic and administrative staff
- After completing the report for duty at the Personnel Office, academic and administrative staff may create an email account and password from the NCKU Portal without application. The email account format shall be (zEmployeeID@ncku.edu.tw).
- After completing the clearance procedure, the email account of resigned academic and administrative staff shall be terminated and deleted in six months after the date of discharge (excluding the Google Workspace account).
- Retirees (already and future) may preserve their personal NCKU email accounts (self-created email@example.com) permanently for communicating related school rights and interests after retirement. The school email account (zEmployeeID@email.ncku.edu.tw) will be terminated and deleted.
- NCKU students
- After enrolling on NCKU, new students may log into the NCKU Portal and activate their Google Workspace service account. The email account format shall be firstname.lastname@example.org. <Activation Instructions>.
- The NCKU email account (email@example.com) of students enrolled before 2021 shall be terminated and deleted in six months after withdrawal, school transfer, and graduation.
- The Google Workspace account will be reserved maintained after graduation in principle. However, the actual expiration shall be subject to the Google’s final policy.
- Special requirements
- Unit email account for school business: All NCKU units may assign a staff member to apply for a school business email account as necessary. However, each unit shall apply for only one email account. After a change in the account responsible person, the unit shall voluntarily notify this Center.
- Project email account: With the approval of the principal investigator, NCKU academic staff may apply for a project email account. The expiration shall be the same as project expiration. Project email accounts will be deleted after project completion without further notice.
- Business or temporary email accounts: When executing a NCKU project or NCKU temporary business, a task force may apply for a business or temporary email account by submitting the reasons for application, approval for application, or proof of task force formation. The email account will be activated after this Center’s evaluation and approval. The expiration of email account shall be two years after the date of application. The task force may apply for extension after expiration. If no application for extension is made, the account will be deleted after expiration without further notice. After a change in the account responsible person, the task force shall voluntarily notify this Center.
- Short-term email account for part-time academic staff: NCKU short-term part-time academic staff may apply for an email account as necessary. The expiration shall be the same as the contract expiration. The account shall be deleted without further notice after contract expiration.
Security Rules for Email Use
When using the NCKU email service, users shall abide by the following security rules exactly to enforce information security, ensure no leakage of business information, and protect the privacy of personal data. This Center may suspend the email account and the relevant services for violation of the following security rules of use.
- Besides following the password principle: at least 8 alphanumeric characters mixed with upper and lower cases, users shall change the password of their email accounts periodically according to the NCKU information security policy.
- To prevent data loss against force majeures, users shall make backup copies of their important data and maintain the capacity of their email accounts to prevent capacity overload from affecting normal email services.
- Users shall not open emails of an unknown origin and the links and executables attached to them to prevent the implantation of Trojan, viruses, or ransomware.
- Users shall not use the NCKU email accounts to send information relating to fraud, defamation, insult, obscenity, harassment, transaction of illegal software, or other illegal information to damage the rights and interests of others.
- When using the NCKU email service, users shall respect the intellectual property rights and shall not infringe the intellectual proper rights of others when using the service.
- When sending confidential or sensitive data with the email system, users shall encrypt such data before sending and notify the recipients of the password through other channels.
- Users shall not use the NCKU email service for commercial purposes.
- When using the NCKU email service, users shall respect internet privacy right and shall not spy on the personal data of other users or infringe their privacy right. No theft of the resources of others or the system, or interfering with normal system operations by any means.
- This Center reserves the right to the emergency suspension of any email accounts suspected for being a spam spreader or damage to normal email system operations.
- Users engaging in school business and important (or sensitive) projects shall use the NCKU email accounts and shall not use external personal email accounts to send and receive information relating to school business.
- Academic or administrative staff transferred to or seconded by other government agencies shall not send and receive agency-related emails with the NCKU email accounts.
- When users are prevented from executing school affairs for failure to retrieve the relevant information through the school business email account, the head of their immediate units may assign a substitute person to apply for retrieving such information. After the evaluation of the needs by this Center, the substitute person may retrieve such information.